Our Prenatal Yoga classes are specifically tailored to support expectant mothers at any stage of pregnancy.
In class we use a multifaceted approach to exercise which involves yoga postures, focused breathing, and mental centring to help ease the aches and pains of pregnancy and prepare mentally and physically for birth.
A safe, peaceful and supportive environment is created and the classes are a wonderful way to connect and meet with other mothers-to-be.
Prenatal yoga has many benefits for both mother and baby including:
- Improved sleep
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Focused and centred mind
- Increase strength, flexibility and endurance of muscles needed for childbirth
- Decreased lower back pain, nausea, heartburn, carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms, headaches, swelling and shortness of breath
A typical prenatal yoga class involves:
- Breathing. You'll be encouraged to focus on breathing in and out slowly and deeply through the nose. Prenatal yoga breathing techniques might help you reduce or manage shortness of breath during pregnancy and work with the contractions of birthing.
- Postures. While standing, sitting or lying on the ground, you will move your body into different positions aimed at developing your strength, flexibility and balance. Props, such as blankets, blocks, bolsters and belts will be used to provide support and comfort.
- Cool down and relaxation. At the end of each prenatal yoga class, you'll relax your muscles and restore your resting heart rate and breathing rhythm. You might be encouraged to listen to your own breathing, pay close attention to sensations, thoughts and emotions, or repeat a mantra or word to bring about a state of self-awareness and inner calm.
This carefully structured class supports pregnant women and is aimed at keeping the body well toned and strong during pregnancy and will aid in postpartum recovery.
These classes will address lower back and pelvic pain and bring increased awareness and strength to the pelvic floor an important area that will assist in birth and beyond.
As pregnancy progresses, the spine is put under increasing stress and pilates will focus on strengthening the stabilising muscles of the spine bringing relief from back and hip pain.
Pilates will increase your connection and awareness of your body and baby at this important time and is the perfect addition and complement to your prenatal yoga practice.
Class size is limited - BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL via Mindbody
No experience necessary
Our Prenatal Yoga classes are held at out studio in Marrickviille and are appropriate for both new and experienced students.
Monday: 6.15-7.15pm (Prenatal Pilates)
Thursday: 6.00pm - 7.15pm
Notes of thanks from previous students:
Whilst I felt fit and well leading into the delivery of my daughter, it was the spiritual and mindfulness tips and techniques that you passed along on a weekly basis that were a huge asset to me during my birthing experience - and I'm forever thankful.
Not only was your advice about applying our yogic practice to whatever happened outside of our control so helpful; the breathing and vocal toning exercises we practiced certainly contributed to a positive birthing experience that I treasure. So I just wanted to send across this little note to express my deepest thanks.
I have no doubt that prenatal yoga was among the most useful things I did to prepare for labour, perhaps especially when I realised I’d have to go over to the labour ward—breathing through all the stress just kept me relatively chilled about the fact I needed to be flexible and go with the flow. So thank you, thank you!
Labour was quicker and more intense this time but was without any of the dramatics or trauma I experienced in my first labour. I'd like to thank you for the skills you taught us during the prenatal yoga. I believe that focusing on my breathing and using my voice played a huge part in my having such a beautiful birth.
I'm actually going to miss coming to these classes!
'I love my prenatal yoga class with Kate, I feel so connected with my growing bump during the classes. With a focus on pelvic floor and leg strengthening exercises, I have felt strong throughout my pregnancy, and I feel well prepared for the birth of my baby girl and I feel the classes will help me through my postpartum recovery. Kate has created a nurturing environment that caters to all levels of fitness and all stages of pregnancy.'- Orana